Apply to join the BSN network of over 90 Botanical Sanctuaries across the country.
The mission of United Plant Savers is to preserve, conserve and restore native medicinal plants and their habitats of the USA and Canada, while ensuring their abundant, renewable supply for future generations. To this end, United Plant Savers established one of our most important projects: The Botanical Sanctuary Network. As we became more deeply involved in the complexities of medicinal plant conservation, we realized that one must first preserve and protect the habitat in which our native plant communities thrive. What better way than to create a network of sanctuaries dedicated to restoring and preserving habitat for wildlife, both plants and animals.
Below is a link to download the application as a pdf file. You can then use it as a template to base your application on.
Please take the time to read all the criteria listed below before submitting an application.
Our goal is to help establish Botanical Sanctuaries that not only serve as rich depositories for ‘at risk’ North American medicinal plants, but also serve as educational centers for plant conservation. These Botanical Sanctuaries will also serve as important seed and germplasm repositories. Your land, once acknowledged as a UpS Botanical Sanctuary, can use the UpS emblem to identify themselves as such. UpS Botanical Sanctuaries are eligible for special UpS planting grants. UpS Botanical Sanctuaries will be listed on our website and social media channels, where you will also have the opportunity to promote classes and workshops taking place on your Sanctuary. You will also have the opportunity to publish your Sanctuary story in our annual Journal of Medicinal Plant Conservation and/or our website. To apply for UpS Botanical Sanctuary status, individuals and/or groups need to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be current members (at any level of membership) of UpS and continue to maintain current membership to remain in the BSN network.
- A one-time fee of $100 must accompany the application to the BSN.
- A passion for learning and conserving medicinal plants!
(Please note an exception to waive the fee of $100 will be considered for community-based projects where funding is difficult to acquire or if the applicant expresses a need for financial assistance, we do not want anyone to be deterred from joining based on financial obstacles.)
The United Plant Savers Botanical Network is dedicated to helping members create botanical sanctuaries on the land they live on. These Sanctuaries will serve as repositories of at-risk native medicinal plants as well as educational and research centers helping to raise public awareness of ‘At-Risk’ native medicinal plants. They are also established purely as places of beauty and refuge.
The BSN fee helps cover the cost of the signage, shipping and admin costs involved in application review,website and membership upkeep.
Benefits of becoming a member of the Botanical Sanctuary Network include:
- A beautiful sign (metal w/yellow and green lettering) with the UpS logo on it to place at the entrance to your Sanctuary signifying this as a UpS Botanical Sanctuary
- Priority Consideration for UpS Community Grants. Our Community Grants award $200-$500 dollars for community projects involving at risk plant restoration and preservation. Sanctuary members are given first priority.
- One Weatherproof Sign that designate the property as a Sanctuary being used for plant research and educational purposes.
- Botanical Sanctuary Resource Guide which includes where to order botanical signs for medicine trails, sources of grants and funding raising, useful books and information sources, etc.
- Listing on the UpS Website and social media channels.
- Opportunities to promote classes and workshops at your Sanctuary on our website and social media channels.
- Opportunities to publish your Sanctuary story on our website and in our annual Journal of Medicinal Plant Conservation.
Botanical Sanctuary Application
To apply for membership in the Botanical Sanctuary Network you must be a current member of UpS.
There is a $100 application fee, which is a one time only fee. You may mail your check to United Plant Savers, Botanical Sanctuary Network, PO Box 147, Rutland, OH 45775. You may also pay online below (please scroll down).
All applications should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we will not process your payment until the application has been received and accepted. If for some reason you are not accepted into the Network, your voided check will be returned to you.
Please answer the questions below in some detail. The more information we have about your proposed Sanctuary the better. Please feel free to attach photos. Call our office if you have further questions about the Botanical Sanctuary Network Program or need assistance downloading the application. Please note that there are no right or wrong answers, we hope this process helps you define how your sanctuary can serve the mission of plant conservation.
- Please provide details of your land, location, maps, photos, time on land, existing medicinal plant species, current conservation projects. What makes your land special?
- What educational programs are offered and on what basis (classes, walks, workshops, plantings)? How often are programs held?
- Please provide additional details describing why you want to be part of the UpS Botanical Sanctuary Network. (Use additional pages as needed)