Avena Botanicals is a thriving small business in Rockport, Maine where each person working within its rhythm plays an integral role in the co-creation process of providing high quality herbal products from seed to bottle. We are an herbal apothecary that has offered a variety of hand-crafted herbal remedies for the past 29 years and 70% of our products are made with herbs grown and hand-harvested from our own certified biodynamic and organic gardens. Our beautiful three-acre garden provides an abundance of herbs for the apothecary, serves as a classroom for the community, offers nectar-producing flowers for pollinators & migrators and is a peaceful place for visitors to renew their spirit and find healing in nature.
If you have an interest in working in the Avena Botanicals gardens, we require that you have a rooted commitment to grow and care for medicinal plants and at least three years of previous experience in small scale organic farming and/or gardening. We are looking for someone with a background in biodynamic practice or a developed relationship in working with the spirits of the plants and cosmic rhythms as we maintain deep relationships with the plant and elemental worlds through the application of organic and biodynamic practices and daily offerings of gratitude. We work on a small yet intensive scale of production, as well as tend sacred space for healing gardens.
The seasonal rhythms of medicinal herb growing asks of us an open heart, flexibility, devotion and concentrated physical labor in all weather conditions. As in all aspects of living, practicing a regular routine of self-care outside of work is an integral part of being able to maintain the level of participation, presence, and gratitude that our work of stewarding medicine plants asks of us. Garden employees are hired to work from mid/late April through mid Nov., four days a week, eight hours a day and must be able to work one rotating weekend per month throughout the season.
During the peak of the season our garden staff has three full time staff members – The Garden Manager, The Drying Room Manager and gardener, and the Flexi-Gardener and founder and gardener Deb Soule. We have two open positions in the garden at this time. Please specify which position you are applying for in the subject line of your email:
Drying Room Manager and gardener
In addition to supporting production and sanctuary garden functions with the rest of the garden staff this position holds the responsibility of maintaining the cleanliness and healthy functioning of two herb drying-rooms. Tasks specific to this position include:
- a working knowledge of drying room processes from laying out plant material to garbling.
- Meticulous record keeping and proficiency with numbers.
- Responsibility of on-going collection of dry room herbs and capability to clearly and kindly communicate questions, concerns, and needs in regards to this to Garden Manager and Tea-maker.
- Must be able to work independently on drying room projects in addition to lead staff in support of drying room tasks.
- (We are willing to train the right person if you have minimal drying room experience)
Flexi – Gardener
The Flexi-Gardener requires skills and familiarity in both tending and designing ornamental gardens as well as production farming, as the position works in both areas as support depending on the garden’s daily needs. Ability to use basic tools and some carpentry skills preferred.
If you find yourself inspired to pursue employment with us please send the following:
Please include relevant study, training, job experience and three references with email address, phone number and relationship. (At least 2 that can speak to work performance)
We would like to hear:
- How you fell in love with plants, your philosophy of working with them, and how you have been able to apply this in daily life.
- Your long-term vision for your work with medicinal plants.
- Any self-care practice you maintain to support you throughout the gardening season.
- And of course, why you would like to work with us here at Avena Botanicals?
Please send emails by November 30th to:
Attn: Denise DeSpirito email@example.com
We will begin contacting people December 1st to arrange an interview in early December. Staff members are able to attend classes held at Avena free of charge but this is not an apprenticeship position. Additionally, we do not offer housing to employees.